The area of Kochanowice borough has been part of Silesia since ancient times. After 1138, as the fragmentation of Poland progressed, Kochanowice was a part of the Śląskie (Silesian), Opole and then Wielkostrzeleckie duchies. After 1460, Kochanowice was incorporated into the Kingdom of Bohemia and later on, into the Austrian Monarchy. Following the Silesian Wars of 1743-1757, Kochanowice became a part of the Kingdom of Prussia. After the WW1 and the Silesian Uprisings, Kochanowice were again within the borders of the Republic of Poland (Rzeczpospolita Polska).
Kochanowice was initially gifted by the Duke Albert of Opole to knight Marbot (1358). In the 16th century it belonged to the do Wierbscy family, then to the Kochciccy family in 16th-17th centuries to pass on into von Aulock hands in the 19th century. During the WW2, between 1942-1944, there was a work camp there that employed Jewish prisoners.
Kochcice, a village in the Kochanowice borough, has a particularly rich history. Located on the Kochcicki Stream (Potok Kochcicki), and once the seat of the wealthy family of Kochciccy (14th – 17th centuries), it came into the ownership of the Ballestrem family near the end of the 19th century. Ballestrems built a palace surrounded by a beautiful park, where now 300 year old oaks can be admired. Currently, the palace houses the Provincial Rehabilitation Centre (Wojewódzki Ośrodek Rehabilitacji), specialising in neurological conditions.
Kochciccy family was among the wealthiest and most influential in the Upper Silesia in the 16th and 17th centuries. According to the family chronicles written in the 17th century, they had owned Kochcice village since 1307. The founder of the family was Rejnitius, living at the beginning of the 14th century. One of his descendants, Jan, died in 1549 and was buried in Lubecko. Jan had a son, Jan II, who in 1567 took the town of Lubliniec with its surrounding area as a collateral, to then buy it in 1587. That is how the Lubliniec ‘state country’ was created. The power of the family ended with the Thirty Years’ War (1618-1648), in which Kochciccy supported the rebel protestant Bohemians against the Hapsburgs. The rebellion wasn’t successful which meant the confiscation of the Kochciccy family property.
The beautiful palace and surrounding park that can be admired in Kochcice today were created by the Count von Ballestrem family who owned the village between the end of the 19th century and 1945. This was only a small part of their wealth which was estimated at 18 million marks in 1908 and included numerous estates in Upper and Lower Silesia amounting to 6,000 hectares (15,000 acres), based mostly in the Ruda-Biskupiec-Pławnica (rudzko-biskupicko-pławniowicki) entail.
The origins of Ballestrem wealth date back to the count Carl Franz von Ballestrem (1750-1822), a son of a Jean Baptise Ballestrero di Castellengo from Sabaudia, who joined Prussian service in 1742. The last of the main line of Ballestrems in Silesia, Nicholas (1900-1945), died in the American bombing of Dresden in February 1945. His relative, Ludwig Carl von Ballestrem, was the last of the family residing in Kochcice. He owned about 3,300 hectares (more than 8,000 acres) of land, including 530 hectares of arable land, 2,600 hectares of woodland and 15 hectares of parkland.
The village is mentioned in written sources as old as 1226. It was a location of an illegal customs post on the tract from Kraków to Warsaw. The beautiful, old church on top of Lubecka Górka (Lubecko Hill) is among the major Marian shrines in the Upper Silesia. The original church was mentioned in 1342, the current building was probably erected in the 16th or early 17th century, to be refurbished and renovated several times throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. The main altar of the church contains the painting of Our Lady of Lubecko, known for its miraculous powers copy of the Black Madonna of Częstochowa, gifted to the church in 1716 or 1720. Soon after Lubecko became a destination of pilgrimages for the inhabitants of the local towns and villages. The interior of the Lubecko church contains also a Baroque pulpit, a font dating to before 1687, a stone stoup (16th/17th C), as well as a very valuable Renaissance tombstone of Jan Kochcicki (died 1549), a representative of one of the most powerful Upper Silesian noble families. The Lubecko church belfry supports the oldest bell in the Lublinice area, dating to 1447.
The churchyard contains a tomb of Franciszka Ciemięga (died 1935), a poor townswoman from the nearby Kanus, known for her devotion and the ability to foretell the future. Recently efforts have been undertaken towards her beatification.
Jawornica is a village near Lubliniec, mentioned in written sources as far back as 1295. There was a Faïence manufacture here in the 19th century. It was in the Jawornica house of Maria Matyjasowa, a well known Polish national activist, that a poet and a participant in the Silesian Uprisings Jan Nikodem Jaroń (1881-1922) found a safe haven shortly before his death.
Harbułtowice village dates to 1358. Later on it belonged to the Kochciccy (16th/17th C) and Sobek (18th C) families. During the 19th C, Harbułtowice were one of the villages included in the Koszęcin entail of the Dukes [uwaga: nie jestem pewna czy powinno być tu Duke czy Prince – dynastyczna nomenklatura angielska rozni się od polskiej] of Hohenlohe-Ingelfingen. The village had a population of 241 in 1910.